Table of Contents
4 • Foreword: Brit Boffin Delivers Steampunk’s Pure Quill! or After Such Knowledge, What Thrills? • (2010) • essay by Paul Di Filippo
7 • Introduction: When Steampunk Was Real • (2010) • essay by Mike Ashley
10 • Mr. Broadbent’s Information • (1909) • short fiction by Henry A. Hering
26 • The Automaton • (1900) • short fiction by Reginald Bacchus and C. Ranger Gull [as by Reginald Bacchus and Ranger Gull]
46 • The Abduction of Alexandra Seine • (1900) • short story by Fred C. Smale
62 • The Gibraltar Tunnel • (1914) • short fiction by Jean Jaubert (trans. of Le tunnel de Gibraltar)
80 • From Pole to Pole • (1904) • short story by George Griffith (variant of From Pole to Pole: An Account of a Journey Through the Axis of the Earth; Collated from the Diaries of the Late Professor Haffkin and His Niece, Mrs. Arthur Princeps)
106 • In the Deep of Time • (1897) • novelette by George Parsons Lathrop
154 • The Brotherhood of Seven Kings: The Star Shaped Marks • (1898) • short fiction by L. T. Meade and Robert Eustace (variant of The Star Shaped Marks)
182 • The Plague of Lights • (1904) • short fiction by Owen Oliver (variant of The Plague of Lights: A Tale of the Year 1906)
196 • What the Rats Brought • (1903) • short story by Ernest Favenc
208 • The Great Catastrophe • (1910) • short fiction by George Davey
220 • Within an Ace of the End of the World • (1900) • short story by Robert Barr
234 • An Interplanetary Rupture • (1906) • short fiction by Frank L. Packard (variant of An Inter-Planetary Rupture)
248 • The Last Days of Earth • (1901) • short story by Geo. C. Wallis (variant of The Last Days of Earth: Being the Story of the Launching of the “Red Sphere”) [as by George C. Wallis]
262 • The Plunge • (1916) • short fiction by George Allan England
If you just happen to stumble upon the dilapidated St. George’s Church in the Czech Republic, passing through the crumbling entrance to glance around at the shadowy interior, you might just be in for the most terrifying moment of your life. Abandoned since the 1960s, the church has long since been devoid of human worshippers, but that doesn’t mean it’s empty. Ghostly shrouded figures line its pews, some hovering in doorways and in the aisles.
Located in the northwestern Bohemia town of Luková, the ‘Church of Nine Ghosts’ first fell into disrepair after the ceiling caved in during a funeral service in 1968. Locals took that as a bad omen, and boarded up the 14th century structure, holding services outside instead. But many residents saw the church as an important part of the town’s history, and wanted to see it restored.
“The figures represent the ghosts of Sudeten Germans who lived in Lukova before World War Two and who came to pray at this church every Sunday,” says artist Jakub Hadrava, who was commissioned to create the installation. “I hope to show the world that this place had a past and it was a normal part of everyday life, but that fate has a huge influence on our lives.”
Made of plaster, the ghosts were put in place over the summer of 2014 in the hopes of drawing more tourists to the region, raising money to rehabilitate the historic 1352 church. The plan worked, as people have come from all over the world to see the statues in this unusual environment, and the church will soon be restored to its former glory.
Crow’s nest from the Quest. Luke J Spencer
Founded in 675, All Hallows-by-the-Tower is an ancient church steeped in history. Samuel Pepys watched the great fire of London from its spire, noting “the saddest sight of desolation.” John Quincy Adams was married here. Due to its close proximity to the Tower of London, most of the beheaded victims of the Tower’s executions were buried here. The pub next to the church is suitably called the “Hung, Drawn, and Quartered.”
But hidden away in the crypt below the church is a peculiar artifact: the original crow’s nest from the ship Quest, which was the vessel that was fielded on Sir Ernest Shackleton’s final voyage. Hardly known about or visited, it is all that remains of the legend’s sunken ship.
Photo: London Stone. Lonpicman/CC BY-SA 3.0
Housed behind an iron grill in Cannon Street, this legendary stone of unknown origin stirs up all kinds of mystique and intrigue.
The earliest written reference to the London Stone is in a book belonging to King Athelstan in the early 10th century, and it was used as a common transportation landmark in the 12th century. Historic texts suggest it was actually a central marker from which all distances were measured back in Roman times. It is also sometimes called the Stone of Brutus, referring to the mythical Trojan founder of London.
Although there are no references that suggest that the stone had any symbolic authority, in 1450 Jake Cade, leader of a rebellion against Henry VI, struck his sword against it and declared himself “Lord of the City.” In the 15th century, the stone was a common place for political meetings. The Lord Mayor of London would strike the stone with a staff each year as a proclamation of authority.
Gateway into St Olave’s churchyard, dubbed ‘St Ghastly Grim’ by Charles Dickens. Photo: Mike Stuchbery. (Atlas Obscura)